Aren’t you curious whether putting your wet phone in rice will work? Every time people drop their smartphones in the water, many would use this trick. Most people can attest to the effectiveness of this method. But some people who haven’t tried it yet, are curious to see first-hand if it actually works.
Can rice save your phone ?
In this article, let us explain every inch of this so-called trick that saves your waterlogged phone. Let us be mythbusters, or perhaps there’s truth in this –– we shall see! So, without further ado, let’s begin.
- How to Use Google Assistant Driving Mode? (A Detailed Guide)
- How to Unblock a Phone Number on Android [3 Easy Methods]
- Sony WH-1000XM5 – Detailed Review In 2022 (Industry Leading Noise-Canceling Headphones)
Can Rice Save Your Phone-Where It All Started?
The rice trick has been around ever since the smartphone existed. I am pretty sure that there is a great chance that you might have tried this before too –– well, I have. Like most of us who have tried, we’re curious to know where this method started and what’s the rationale behind it. Does the rice absorb the liquid on our phones? Does the rice have minerals that can easily dry wetness? Can rice save your phone?
Well, it started…
In June 2007, a post by a Washington Post reporter claimed that he dropped his BlackBerry in the toilet. He said that he was able to retrieve it by using the rice trick. This post is considered one of the first high-profile examples of the rice trick. Ever since the tradition repeats itself, it is believed that dry rice will absorb the surrounding moisture. Do you think it really works?
Without further ado, let’s get to the bottom of this!
Does the Rice Trick Really Work?
We have heard many people saying that this trick works. We have also seen various websites suggest that electronics that have been submerged in the water can be saved. Yes, it’s still not too late for your soaked gadgets. Save our phone by putting it in a bag of uncooked rice to take the moisture out. As easy as it sounds, not everyone can think of this method when they’re already in that situation. Plus, it’s not always that there’s uncooked rice available when you accidentally drop your phone in the pool or at the beach.
For everybody’s information, rice does contain some moisture absorption power. If the water doesn’t penetrate the phone too much, all you need to do is to turn off your device. Give your phone some time for it to dry. People often end up believing that it was rice that did the magic.
Surprisingly, the rice can only damage your phone by introducing dust and starch into the phone. What’s mind-blowing is that rice works slower than just leaving your phone out for it to dry.
Now that you know that, you might want to explore some alternatives. We’ve got you covered!
An Alternate Way to Save Your Phone
- The best way to remove water from your phone is to leave that in a dry area. For instance, you place your phone in front of the fan. This will help you remove moisture from your phone. This method works faster and better compared with the rice trick. This method is highly effective if your phone is already waterproof.
- Silica gel desiccants are a great replacement for rice tricks. All you need to do is the same as what you do for the rice trick. Just lay a few packets of these and seal up your wet phone inside a pouch. This is very effective to remove the moisture from your phone.
- You can also use a lint-free microfiber cloth to wipe down your phone to remove as much water as possible.
- You can also use a vacuum chamber as it works better than rice. Before you place it in the vacuum chamber make sure you wipe it as best as you can with a paper towel. In just 15 minutes this method works wonders by removing moisture from your phone.
|Tips relating to can rice save your phone?|
1. If your phone is submerged in the water, then immediately turn it off.
2. If your phone is turned off in the water, then don’t try to turn it on immediately.
3. Remove everything that can be removed from your phone including cases, SIM card, SD card, and the battery.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do you leave your phone in rice?
Leave your phone in the rice as long as you can. You can leave your phone for about 48 hours or more. But make sure your phone is covered with rice at least overnight.
2. Can rice fix a water-damaged phone?
Various websites suggest that electronics that have been submerged in the water can be saved with this method. This is possible by putting them in a bag of uncooked rice to take the moisture out of it. But that actually doesn’t work. Instead, it damages your phone by introducing dust and starch into your phone.
3. What are the signs of water damage on a phone?
The first few immediate signs that your phone is damaged by water are as follows:
* Inability to charge.
* It affects your Wi-Fi connectivity.
* Your phone screen goes blank.
* It will affect your phone’s audio quality.
- Latest Best 5 Emergency Cell Phones (Must-Own in 2022)
- Unique Top 5 Smart Glasses in 2022
- Trending Best 5 Emergency Satellite Phones – Don’t Miss It
Final Thoughts on the Quest – Can rice save your phone?
You might not know when you will drop your phone in the water. Accidents cannot be foreseen. It is better to be prepared for the worst. But these precautions must be meaningful isn’t it? We have provided the best ways to save your phone or other gadgets in case you accidentally drop them in the water.
Leaving your phone in a rice bag does work but is not as effective as the above-mentioned ways. You can opt for any method with which you are comfortable. Make sure you don’t waste your money buying a new phone when you can actually save it without spending a single penny. We have provided you with the details of what works and what doesn’t. Hope you would have found the answer for your question-can rice save your phone? Make use of the information and save your phone while you can.
Have you tried any such trick that really works? Let us know in the comments below!